1. To re do a kitchen in a rented apartment without harming the natural setting or whatever it came with.
2. To re do a kitchen which has bright peach as its wall color and weird fish motif tiles in peach and white for backsplash
3. To re do a kitchen that has no window and is practically an aisle
When I saw the house first, we didnot even bother to look at the kitchen because the guys who were staying in here were beyond my words. I would not really call it lack of aesthetics but complete absence of the sense of hygiene. The moment we walked in, we saw heaps of food wrappers, butter paper, food litter and I just refused to step inside the kitchen fearing it might just make me sick. To top, we had to narrow on one house and I was particularly crazy about the view. Hence, you can understand why I walked out and told yes. But after a thorough disinfection and cleaning, the real challenge showed itself up. Take a look at what I found it as!
(Eeek! The initial days of living)
Anyway, after days of RnD and a whole lot of sketches, finally this is what our dear kitchen looks like!
Kitchen after!!! Hurrah!
And to achieve that, this is what I followed
1. Declutter- the first step. Throw away anything that’s unnecessary. yes throw.
2. Open shelving- In a small kitchen enclosed spaces intensify its weakness. Break free. Keep it open and at a stretch. This gives it a longer and cleaner look.
3.Brighter lights- Compulsory. No matter how beautiful your kitchen is, lighting will play a major role in making it look good or ugly. Hence, if you have a kitchen that’s small, dowse it with bright lights. Trust me, it’ll be worth. For my peach kitchen, I chose a light that casts a retro glow.
4. Color toning- In my case it was peach! PEACH. Oh my god. Ideally, change the color to something softer and mute that makes a space look bigger but if you are in a position like me where you must work with the colors available, match the tones of the stuff you use at kitchen. With peach, I used neutral browns, cream, off-whites and peach.
In my next post, I’ll show you how I cornered the shelf!
Let me know your thoughts or suggestion guys! I’ll be very happy to know what you all think.