The much awaited photographs of Mr. and Mrs. Rohan Kadam are here.
Firstly, I don’t know if I should call it a big fat Indian wedding because weddings in India go on for weeks. Ours lasted only 3 hours :P. We wanted a short wedding, both of us. 7 days of ritualistic embarrassment? Pass. So with much “what on earth” our parents brought it down to the “must do’s”.
Secondly, this ultra short wedding gave birth to 500 photographs- I have chosen only the highlights to give you a rough idea of how our wedding was. (In my mind: Only where I am looking good). Haha…
I’ll break out in a wail. This photographer was the worst in my knowledge. I wish he was getting married and I had his camera- The result would have been drastically different. Bloody chomp.
Anyway! We had a vedic wedding and this is roughly what happens-
1. priest prays with girls’ family infront of God asking permission for starting the wedding
2. Same with guys family
2.5. Father gives away his daughter to her would be husband (kanyadaan)
3. Guy and girl are told to do some rituals- just go with it.
4. Swords are held over girl and guy by guys and girl’s brother, while a cloth separates the guy from the girl before exchanging garland. The holding of sword is symbolic of warding away enemies.
5. Girl and guy exchange garlands
6. Girl and guy sits beside the holy fire and do some heebi-jeebies and guy puts vermilion on girl’s forehead. He also gives girl a mangalsutra, which is a black bead necklace woven in gold- equivalent to the wedding band.
Next: you take rounds with your husband around the holy fire and promise to be with him always.
Once the marriage rituals are over, we went to change for the party after. By party, I mean standing on a stage and laughing endlessly until your jaws hurt. This stage thing was not a part of the deal we cracked with our parents. They pretty much broke it to us at the last minute so that we cant escape the situation. We have been cancelling pretty much everything they came up with.
Parents are very clever. VERY.
I hope you all liked this short post.